Greetings - I will preface this question with the understanding that some poor choices may have been made when we first set up our Robot Reports system, but I am frustrated with the process of assigning access to a new user...
So my question is: is there a way to copy the report distributions from an existing user to a new user?
I understand I can copy a user, but that seems to do very little for me.
Today I am working through a request to give a new executive access, with access matching that of a user who may view over 230 individual reports (from about 50 different report sets).
My current, tedious, plodding method of dealing with this request is
- Go to Maintain Report Sets and find a Report Set
- Find a Set with reports to assign - Give a 3 [Enter] for Report Names
- For each Report Name included - Give a 2 [Enter] for Bursting Instructions
- Then a 1 [Enter] for Distribution
- Then an A [Enter] to Add/Copy/Delete (usually I can take the first user in the Distributed To list and avoid more keystrokes)
- Then [Enter] to take the default of 1 to Copy (I had to go back and add the [Enter] key presses)
- Then [Ctrl+V] [Enter] to paste the new user's name into the Distributed To field
- Then F3 or F12 to go back and verify that the user is listed (that I actually hit the Enter key after pasting)
- Then F3 or F12 to go back to the Bursting Instructions
- Then F3 or F12 to go back to Maintain Report Names
- Repeat steps 1-8 for each report required (have to look...)
- Repeat for all Sets with reports to assign
This isn't exactly difficult, but it is mind-numbing and not given to finding a natural rhythm.
Why isn't there an option to read through a user's listings and copy it to another user?
Or why can't I at least work the distributions from the listing for a given user from:
- 2. Recipient and Distribution List Menu
- 1. Maintain Recipients
- 3=Recipient Report Control
Here I see all the user's distributions, but I can't skip to working with the distributions to add another user, so I'm left going to each set and skipping around to find only the correct reports.
I really, really, detest this task - can you tell?
It should be so much easier.
Should I be taking the time to clone this to a Distribution List instead so it can be re-used?
Am I just to suffer until I take the time to suffer to try to build the Distribution Lists needed to parse this into groups?
Is there an option to clone a user to a Distribution List?
Current version: R07M691160519