Posted Mon, 16 Mar 2020 23:56:11 GMT by


When using "Get Value" activity of new Web Browser action on Chrome, after clicking "Open" button Task Builder displays an error message "Web Browser driver upgrade failed. Please contact support for instrucions on how to upgrade it manualy".


Operating System:  Windows 10 Home Single Language [10.0.18362.719]

Automate version is

Chrome version is 80.0.3987.132 (64 bits)

See attached image - Web Browser Action Error.png

Posted Tue, 17 Mar 2020 21:52:47 GMT by

Hello Herminio,

The process for manually installing this driver is as follows:

  • Go to
  • Download the latest released win32 ChromeDriver
  • Unzip the archive
  • Place the ChromeDriver.exe file into the following location:
    • Automate: C:\ProgramData\Automate\Automate 11\WebDrivers\x86
    • Agent: C:\ProgramData\Automate\Automate Agent 11\WebDrivers\x86
    • Automate Enterprise: C:\ProgramData\Automate\Automate Enterprise 11\WebDrivers\x86
Posted Tue, 17 Mar 2020 21:53:02 GMT by


Posted Fri, 27 Mar 2020 05:23:11 GMT by

Hello Alex,

Problem resolved

Thank You!

Posted Fri, 27 Mar 2020 23:31:30 GMT by

Hello Alex,

Problem resolved.

Thank You!

Posted Wed, 01 Apr 2020 12:55:41 GMT by


I performed the procedure, but it didn't work. The error message is the same.

During the execution of the "Open" action, the browser appears and closes quickly.

Another thing I noticed was that the file chromedriver.exe disappears after "Open" action. Could you help me?

Posted Wed, 01 Apr 2020 22:01:50 GMT by

Hi Augusto,

We have received your Support Request case and will be working with you on the issue via the case.

Posted Wed, 01 Apr 2020 22:03:49 GMT by

Hi Augusto,

We have received your Support Request case and will be working with you on the issue via the case.

Posted Sat, 04 Apr 2020 00:09:36 GMT by

Im having the same issues. 

Machine works in development environment fine, but when run on the live machine I have the exact same error messages

Currently running version on both agent and dev machine with the correct chrome driver installed

Posted Tue, 18 Aug 2020 22:30:35 GMT by

Hi Justin, 

I'm experiencing this same issue. Installed latest ChromeDriver.exe and when it tries to open the web browser, it fails and deletes the driver file. 

Did you happen to find the fix for this? 


Posted Thu, 20 Aug 2020 23:55:18 GMT by

Hello Karl,

What version of Chrome are you running on the machine experiencing the issue? How about on the machine that is working?

Is protected mode enabled?

Posted Tue, 25 Aug 2020 01:11:05 GMT by

Hello David,

Deleting the driver file is something we have not experienced internally. What version of AutoMate are you running? What version of chrome?

Posted Tue, 13 Jul 2021 04:18:31 GMT by

I am experiencing the same issue. I installed the latest Chrome driver on the agent version and it is not working.

Automate version:

Chrome Version: 91.0.4472.124

Agent Server: Windows Server 2016

Posted Tue, 13 Jul 2021 22:09:40 GMT by


Posted Tue, 13 Jul 2021 22:11:03 GMT by

Hello Casey,

What is the exact error message you are receiving?

Is it possible to upgrade the AutoMate install to 11.5? This issue has been optimized for the newest version.

Posted Tue, 13 Jul 2021 22:11:43 GMT by


Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 13:23:08 GMT by Kora Czifra Systems Engineer
Update - this happened to us today - 8/17/23
I had to add the new 64 bit version of Chrome EXE driver for Chrome version 116
Downloaded from here - using bottom URL

Unzip the file and put the Chrome EXE in 
NOTE: for a backup I renamed the old Web driver -old

Once I did this my error message stopped.
I hope this helps anyone else! 

Posted Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:29:30 GMT by Mélanie Joubert

We have the same issue. The chromedriver.exe is deleted automatically and chrome can not open.

Could you help please ?

Automate version :
Chrome version : 118.0.5993.71

The chrome driver deleted from C:\ProgramData\AutoMate\WebDrivers is : zlib version 1.2.12, March 27th, 2022

Thank you,
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 11:55:38 GMT by Kora Czifra Systems Engineer

Error message: Could not determine browser version.

You have to update the Chrome EXE driver note- I am using Automate version 22

Go to

Find the Stable Version - click on Stable link

Go to chromedriver win32 - follow the link that they provide


From <>


Download the Zipped file.

Unzip the file

Take over to where your Automate is installed - for me my server

Place the chromedriver.exe here:


You will see an older chromedriver.exe here - I rename this one to chromedriver-old.exe first to save this.  Just in case.

For me I don’t have to reboot the Automate server and my Chrome Type Tasks now run.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.